As discussed at our AGM we are in the planning stages for a SPBA sponsored all ages band day tentatively scheduled for Sept 24 in Regina.
- Provide some quality instruction for band members.
- Provide opportunity for socializing and networking with other musicians from around the province after the long Covid season of being apart.
- Provide some motivation and inspiration for players at the start of the season to help all of our bands regroup
We are still working out the details but tentatively we are planning for group and break out sessions throughout the day from 12 noon to 5pm, followed by a ceilidh in the evening. Potential topics for sessions include
- Bagpipe maintenance
- Band leadership
- Playing as a core - setting up a good ensemble
- Drum tuning from snare to base
- Instruction in other celtic instruments, small pipes, whistle, bodhran, fiddle
- How to start students - back to basics
- How to maintain reeds - Breaking in a reed without breaking it.
- Judging seminar - Training our own judges for mini gatherings etc and also as a competitor learning what judges look for.
Our intention is to utilize some of our own experts within the province and also bring in some leaders from our neighbouring provinces.
As discussed at the AGM the SPBA received a significant additional grant from the Sask Band Association ( SBA) to help build back. Our intent is to charge a nominal registration fee to attendees with the majority of the cost being sponsored by the SPBA.
- Get the word out to your band members to save the date - Sept 24 Regina
- Review the topic list above. Let us know which sessions are of interest to you. Send other suggestions.
- We have a few instructor ideas but if you have local Prairie musicians that you would like to learn from at our event send us their names and contact info
Past President SPBA